EMDR Therapy and Sexual Health: A Clinician’s Guide 1st Edition 2021 Original pdf
The first book to integrate EMDR Therapy treatment of sexual trauma with a focus on helping clients achieve empowered sexual health
This unique text provides EMDR clinicians with a complete toolkit, assisting sexual trauma survivors in moving from symptomology reduction/elimination to optimal sexual health and functioning. By integrating sexual health and EMDR Therapy together throughout this innovative book, the Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) Model is applied to sexual health, with sexual health-related material blended into all eight phases of the EMDR Protocol.
Encompassing principles and best practices of current helpful positive sexual health frameworks, including fundamental sex therapy information and sex education models, this first of its kind EMDR Therapy resource disseminates essential information on anatomy, the history of sex research, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and pregnancy related issues, the Dual Control Model of arousal and desire, spontaneous and responsive desire, arousal non-concordance, models of consent for sexual activities, and out of control sexual behaviors.
This guide considers the gender experience of trauma for all EMDR Therapy clients, covering challenges, concepts, and helpful strategies for discussing sensitive sexual health matters. It addresses sexual/affectional orientation, consensual non-monogamy, and how EMDR Therapy can help address the sexual health concerns of erotically marginalized populations. Also covered are matters of aging and spirituality as they impact sexual health. Packed with helpful resources such as questionnaires, guidelines, case examples, charts, cutting-edge diagrams, and anatomy illustrations with non-gendered labels, EMDR therapists will gain the knowledge and confidence they need to facilitate optimal sexual health for the clients in their practice.
- Reinforces innovative content with abundant and diverse case studies
- Includes first-time publication of two valuable questionnaires: Sexual History Questionnaire and Sexual Styles Survey
- Delivers new EMDR Therapy resources for facilitating sexual health–Bubble Boundary and Self-Compassion Container
- Provides a new EMDR Therapy future-oriented resource–Strengthening a Confident and Joyful Sexual Self
- Examines in-depth sexual/affectional orientation, relationship status such as consensual non-monogamy, and pregnancy loss
- Includes helpful, nonjudgmental, and affirming information about the kink/BDSM population
- Provides an overview of EMDR Therapy and sexual health for individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities
- Describes important sexual health frameworks and concepts
- Includes sex-positive resources for further education along with client handouts